Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Away rotation #1, Day 1

Drew's first day of his first away rotation started off well. He got to the hospital at 7:00 for his 7:30 a.m. orientation. He got his ID badge and met with the chief resident and did some other orientation-like things.* There is one other student doing the away rotation with him and so far they seem to get along - Drew said he was a pretty quiet guy.
Sometime in the afternoon he got to go into the O.R. to watch a surgery. He left his white coat outside the operating room in the surgical area. When he got out of surgery he looked in his wallet (which he had left in his white coat) to find that all his cash and his subway/el card were gone! When he got done for the day (around 7:00 p.m.) he called to tell me about the "theft." He was upset and kept apologizing - although I was really ticked off, it wasn't at him.
My first thought was that a patient stole from him but he explained that where he left his white coat was supposed to be a "safe" area because it was a surgical hallway - the only patients in that area are unconscious or strapped to a gurney. Which means that (I can only assume) another student/resident/nurse stole from him! How awful is that?! At least they left his credit cards (although I keep checking online to make sure there are no charges). I guess the theif needed the money more than we did, and I do believe that what goes around, comes around. And I keep reminding myself - its only money.
With Drew's el card gone he then had to decide between taking a cab back to his sister apartment or buying a new el card. (So much for all that money I tried to save by sending him with snacks... I guess it went toward buying a second montly el pass). After purchasing his new pass Drew got home only to find that his key didn't work! He waited outside for an hour until his sister got home. Although he didn't really complain (other than to say he was ticked off about the theft) I know he had a rough first day... the good news is that he did seem to enjoy the hospital and the program.
Day 1 = 11.5 hour day
*Please note that I only get a few minutes to talk to if and when he calls so my summaries will tend to have some gaps.

No comments: