Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Next Chapter

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice regarding my blog and what exactly to do.

I am still leaning toward starting a new blog. The reason is because when I started my blog I figured it would only be read by close friends and family and therefore it is linked up with my personal email - so right now I can't really reply to everyone's wonderful comments. For that reason I really want to start a new blog and set it up properly so that I can respond to everyone's comments. My thought is that I would post a link on this site and those who want to follow me over to my new blog could.

I also have a title of a blog that I think I could take with me throughout and changes. But I thought I would again get your thoughts.... so my thought is to call my future blog:

Champagne and Bon Bons
The glamorous real life of an attorney and doctor's wife.

For those of you who are attorneys or married to medical students or doctor's wives you can understand that people often make assumptions regarding you life, one being that your rich, or that your life is cushy. And from what I hear, residency is anything but champagne and bon bons.

And also to address some of your comments about why my blog is currently married to a medical student, or why I would want my future title to include something about being married to a doctor. Its not because that is all I am. I know that I am more than a wife. Being married to someone in medicine, doesn't make me who I am, but it does say a lot about me. Being married to someone in medicine means being willing to sacrifice, and to put someone else's career before yours and supporting your spouse through some highs and lows of a long educational and training process. For us, it will mean 4 years of post graduation education and at least 7 years (if not 8 or 9) years of residency or training. Furthermore, my blog has been a way to meet other medical spouses and to try and be a resource for other med student spouses, just as many doctor's wives have been to me. I also want to continue that, and to try and shed a little light on what it is like being married to a medical spouse, and perhaps dispel some of the myths associated with being a "doctor's wife."
So what do you think?

12 comments:

C. said...

I like it!! Very creative and ironic.

Mel said...

I have never commented on your blog before but I have been an avid reader for a couple months now. You have no idea how much you have helped me through some not so glamorous times. (My husband is an M3, planning on going into Emergency Medicine and the whole match process is really scary.)
You always say it how it is and I love that. Being a med. school or Doctor's wife is definatly full of sacrific and as well as highs and lows.
I think starting a new blog would be great for you. It's a new stage in your life, why not start a new blog and get it set up how you want it to. Plus, I love the Champagne and Bon Bons title, so cute and creative!!!

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

Love it!

I'll follow your blog wherever it goes!

Mrs T said...

I love the new blog name! And I look forward to reading your posts during residency. I agree completely....while it is not entirely who you are....being married to someone in medicine certainly speaks volumes about your character and your heart. Hope you get to enjoy some 'down' time in between this summers big events!

amanda said...

hey marissa,
i am coming out of the shawdows of lurkdom to make a coment - i switched my blog from blogger to wordpress (which is now free) and i like it so much better. it is much easier to upload photos and manipulate a post and they have a lot of great features that blogger does not. just a suggestion. hope everything goes well with the new house.
amanda

amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elle said...

Love it!

JumpingJane said...

The name is fantastic. Your reasons for moving the blog make perfect sense. Its important to be able to share with the world about being involved in the life we are involved in, but also be able to have some anonymity. I look forward to hearing how the move and start of residency goes.

TheFamousStacie said...

Cute! This medical road is a LOONNNGGG one.

I often, without meaning to, say "We went to medical school at 'such and such'" People are like, "Wow, you BOTH went to medical school?"

I'm like "No, well yea, sort of" It's complicated : )

Kelsey Claire said...

I love the new name! So cute! You have to use it!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!!!

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

That's a great idea! I like the new name. It does encompass the different facets of your life. Go for it! :)