Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm so over it!

This applying to residency and match process. Yep, I am over it! It has been exhausting and seriously has been non-stop since July. And I am not even the med student! July was studying for the boards. August/September/October - we were apart for away rotations. September he officially applied to residency programs. September/October/November - were filled with scheduling and organizing interviews. And as soon as Drew got home from his away rotations at the end of October, he started interviews right away. And the interviews have pretty much been every week since (with the exception of a two week break for Christmas).
Tonight I am waiting for Drew to get home from another interview. Thank goodness it is his second to last!

:Sigh of Relief:

This process. Has been. Exhausting.

The funny thing is that is that fourth year is supposed to be the easiest! And I guess academically (with the exception of his Away rotations) it has been the easiest year for Drew. But this whole match process has been much more time consuming than the actual academic portion of medical school. I've been so incredibly jealous of Drew friends that are applying to different specialties in which they didn't have to do away rotations; didn't have to take as many interviews; and are virtually positive where they are going to Match.

I am ready to be done organizing travel itineraries, and picking out suits and ties, and paying astronomical credit card bills for travel expenses. I am ready to have a routine, and have my husband in the same state with me for seven consecutive days. I am ready to stop wondering what our future will hold. I am ready for March 18th. Well maybe not... but as for this whole process, I'm over it! And you're probably over me talking about it! Thank God we only have one more left!

6 comments:

Mrs. D said...

The unknown is the worst part, right? I hate that. And sadly, we are entering into that realm again now that fellowship is on the horizon. Blech.

So glad for you that your husband is almost done! Match Day will be here before you know it, and you will end up at a great residency program - I can feel it!

Elle said...

What a hectic year for both of you... hang in there though March 18th will answer all your questions and then you'll have some time to plan...

I start medical school in the fall... has there been anything you or your husband wished you had prepared for better before medical school started?

Ams said...

It's funny because S said this has been the WORST year so far...
We had some amazing times together (and were able to spend the most time together this year) BUT it has been emotionally exhausting. We are just ready to know what the next step in life is... OVER IT!

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

Just know that you're in the final stretch and you're so close to the end!

Anonymous said...

You are so close and I think that is what makes the fourth year so hard. I remember it like yesterday. My husband had to do several months at a State Prison in Florida also (very strange experience) for both of us. I think because everyone tells you the last year is easy we put expectations on it and end up disappointed. Stay busy and be strong this will pass and be worth it in the end I promise!

Amarin Phaosawasdi said...

Hey, congratulations for completing the huge part. I hope he gets into the program he wants and no relocation is required!

Totally understand how exhausting it is!