Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekend at HOME

Drew and I spent the weekend in my hometown of Crystal Lake. It has been brought to my attention that I still refer to Crystal Lake as home, even though I have been living away from home the past eight years. I often find myself referring to CL as home even though Springfield is really our new home. Last week I told Shannon that I was going to my neighbor's for homemade pizza when Drew and I were really going to my parent's neighbors for pizza. I do this sort of thing all the time, for example we were talking about how good Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza is - and how there is nothing like it down here - and I'll say "yeah we have one right down the street at home... at my parent's house." I often wonder if how I speak gives away the fact that I long to be closer to home, and that I always have hoped (and still do hope) that we make it back up there. And I say that even though we would have considered staying here if Drew had picked a specialty that was offered here. And while it will always feel like home wherever I am, as long as I am with Drew, I know in my heart that northern Illinois will always feel like home because that is where so many of my family and friends can be found. Slowly with time just as Springfield has become a home, I am sure there will be other places in life we will call home, but I also know I will always have another home in Crystal Lake for as long as my loved ones are there.

Another clue that made me realize that I am subconsciously in denial that I am no longer a resident of northern Illinois is that until last week according to my driver's license I still resided in Crystal Lake. So when I finally went to renew my expired driver's license I made a big change - my address - I no longer live at 123 My Parent's Street, I now live in Springfield. That's a step right?

We did have a wonderful and relaxing weekend at home. (See, I did it again). Friday we made it in town late and enjoyed homemade pizza at the Prioletti's (Mmm - Nancy makes a phenomenal homemade pizza!) Saturday was a lot of relaxing and Drew and I also took a trip to the gym (its way nicer than our Gold's so it was a treat!) Drew ran 13 miles - in preparation for his half marathon next month, and I ran (jogged is a more appropriate term), did some cardio and swam for a bit. That night for dinner my Mom made some fabulous ribs, sweet potato fries and my favorite dessert, chocolate eclair cake! We rented Burn After Reading - and if you haven't seen it, don't waste your time, its three hours of your life you will never get back (ie: horrible). Sunday my sister, my Mom and I went to Alex's bridal shower. It was gorgeous, with beautiful details such as wine cork placecards, lavender tulips, lavender napkins and chocolate brown and lavender favors! Below is a picture of me and my two childhood friends at the shower. (Em is due w/baby Olivia in June).

As far as Drew's rotations, the new-ness and interest that came with ob-gyn has already worn off. I think it was an exciting change from psychiatry, but it has already gotten very old for him and he is ready to move on to his next rotation. Unfortunately for him he has another week of ob followed by three weeks of gyn. This has made Drew realize how making his choice is kind of a double-edged sword. While he is sooo excited to know what he wants to do for the rest of his life, he is tortured going through the motions of experiencing other specialties. But I think it is good for him, I will remind him of these days years from now when he has had long days of surgery - and hopefully he will be glad his long exhausting days are filled with days of things that fascinate him, and not filled with things that he got bored of after two weeks.
On a random note - what is up with this Bachelor finale? Every time I watch it, it ends badly and I tell myself that I won't watch the next season - and sure enough I end up wasting two hours every week engulfed in yet another season. But I guess it does make me grateful that I've found the love of my life, and I have my fairytale.

No comments: